John Cleese and Compaq
Long before Compaq became part of the HP empire, the computer maker used Monty Python and Fawlty Towers star John Cleese to sell its wares in the nascent PC market. The British actor fronted a campaign for Compaq in the eighties, famously declaring in one TV ad that "if I were you, I wouldn't watch this commercial."
In another of the somewhat absurdist ads, Cleese compares Compaq's Portable 2 to a dead fish in an attempt to highlight Compaq's compatibility with IBM's (IBM) software. "If you're looking for a powerful portable computer that doesn't smell, I suggest you buy the Compaq Portable 2," he adds.
--Written by James Rogers in New York.>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV