NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Intel (INTC) took celebrity tech endorsements to another level last week with the appointment of Black Eyed Peas front man will.i.am as the firm's new "director of creative innovation," highlighting the chip giant's desire to challenge Apple's (AAPL) legion of cool.
As the dominant force in the semiconductor market, Intel's chips are widely deployed on PCs and laptops, but the tech giant has yet to make its presence felt in the booming mobile device space. Step up will.i.am, who sported an Intel ID badge at a recent company conference in California.
Like other manufacturers, tech companies are keen to get their products out in front of as many eyeballs as possible, and Intel/will.i.am is just the latest in long list of strange celebrity/Silicon Valley combos. Remember Jerry Seinfeld's ad with Microsoft's (MSFT) Bill Gates? What about Mr. T's efforts at selling storage for HDS or John Cleese using his unique brand of British humor to sell Compaq gear long before it was swallowed up by Hewlett-Packard (HPQ)?
Even Apple's iPad has had its brushes with fame, as Silicon Valley seeks out ever more unusual ways to hawk its products. Read on for more details of tech's strangest celebrity endorsements:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV