NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Analysts are predicting that the banking industry's heavy consolidation will continue this year, especially in the small cap and community- banking sector.
According to SNL Financial, there have been four bank and thrift deals worth $1.6 billion announced so far this year. That compares to a total of 207 in 2010, valued of $12.1 billion.
"I think M&A is going to be stronger than people expect. What you have seen thus far has been the purchase of healthy banks with excess capital of troubled banks. We think 2011 will be the year that healthy banks will purchase healthy banks," said FBR Capital Markets analyst Brett Scheiner in an interview with TheStreet.
TermsFor each of the 10 banks discussed on the following pages, we'll be looking at capital strength, earnings quality and asset quality. For an explanation of those terms you can click on the box below.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV