NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Latin American stocks have underperformed U.S. shares in the past three months, with the iShares S&P Latin America 40 Index ETF (ILF) returning barely 1% versus a 9.5% increase in the S&P 500. But some fund managers say select Latin American companies may rebound once commodity demand strengthens.
"We are looking at Latin America and focusing on Brazil in particular because the country has displayed fiscal and monetary restraint in the last few years, providing a more stable investment environment. Plus, the abundance of natural resources in Brazil makes it a long-term secular play with regards to increasing Chinese demand," says Paul Attwood, manager of the Huntington Global Select Markets Fund (HGSAX).
TheStreet searched for lucrative Latin American stocks with Attwood and David Marcus, manager of the Evermore Global Value Fund (EVGBX).
Coca-Cola Femsa (KOF)Mexico-based Coca-Cola Femsa bottles and distributes Coke products across Central and South America. The company has a $15 billion market cap and carries about $500 million in debt. In Marcus' view, the company has a track record of success, and he is also a fan of the ownership structure, which includes a 32% stake by the Coca Cola Co. (KO). "This is the world's largest Coca Cola bottler outside the U.S and an excellent way to play consumer spending in emerging markets," says Marcus, who adds that it dominates Mexico now, but will soon take over the rest of Latin America. "The potential for growth in Brazil, Panama and Columbia is huge. They recently signed a deal with the Coca Cola Co. to sell noncarbonated beverages including juices and sports drinks throughout Latin America," says Marcus.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV