Study: 90% Of U.S. Golfers May Be Playing With The Wrong Equipment For Their Swing
NEW YORK, Jan. 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- A new, wide-ranging study reveals a golfer's natural ability and swing are not the only things holding them back; 90% of U.S. golfers may be playing with clubs that do not fit them properly. Nearly 6,000 avid golfers across the country took part in the survey. The findings show players who were custom fit using advanced technology such as launch monitors, saw scores improve, hit the ball more accurately and had more fun playing golf than golfers who were not custom fit. The findings were unveiled today at the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, Florida.
"This study is a wake-up call for every golfer who wants to get better. We spoke to thousands of golfers coast to coast and the majority had no idea of what true custom fitting is all about and how it can shave strokes off of score cards," said Jon Last, President of Sports and Leisure Research Group, which conducted the research. "The magnitude of the differences in perceptions between those fit and not fit was among the most significant I've observed between two test populations in my 20+ years of researching American golfers."
The highlights of the research findings include:
- 92% of those golfers who were custom fit for their new equipment on a launch monitor realized immediate benefits with their new equipment.
- 80% of custom fit golfers hit the ball more accurately and consistently.
- Those golfers who were custom fit were 22% more likely than those who were not to notice a significant improvement in their scores (two strokes or more per round and were 56% more likely to see their scores go down by more than five strokes per round).
- Those golfers who were custom fit were 57% more likely than those who were not to strongly agree their new equipment purchase was "the best that they had ever made."
- Those golfers custom fit on a launch monitor were 42% more likely to complete their equipment purchase faster than those who were fit in other ways (and 17% were more likely to buy their equipment on the same day that they were custom fit).
- Custom fit golfers spent 78% more than those who were not custom fit.
- 69% of custom fit golfers surveyed bought equipment immediately after the process.
( The complete survey, methodology, video news release, high-resolution images and interviews along with materials for blogs and other news outlets can be found at: www.customfityourgame.com )"This study clearly demonstrates the advantages custom fitting brings to a player's game -- providing for greater comfort, fit, better scores and making golf more enjoyable," said Allen Wronowski, president, The PGA of America. "The experience reported by PGA members and their customers at facilities nationwide mirrors this research," he added. There is no industry standard for custom fitting and the study found much confusion exists around the subject. Custom fitting used in this survey is defined as the process of measuring a golfer's physical attributes and then uses high tech equipment such as a launch monitor to capture important information on swing speed, ball flight and spin rates – all designed to "build" the right custom-fit golf clubs for each golfer.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.