HSBC Global Research analyst Ben O'Toole recently initiated coverage of Carnival and Royal Caribbean. He opened coverage on Carnival with an overweight rating and $51 price target. The analyst gave Royal Caribbean a neutral rating and $43 price target.
O'Toole noted that demand for cruises has been improving, especially in Europe, and that the operators are further helped by slow supply growth.
"We are also optimistic that costs can be controlled and that, as both operators increase in size, further efficiencies can be achieved, leading to margin expansion," he noted.
Carnival shares were 2.3% lower in premarket trading Thursday.The Vanguard Consumer Discretionary (VCR) and iShares Dow Jones U.S. Consumer Services Sector Index Fund (IYC), exchange-traded funds that count Royal Caribbean and Carnival among their holdings, both traded up, gaining 0.9% and 0.6%, respectively. -- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
>>See our new stock quote page. Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV