Ma Bell posted adjusted earnings of 55 cents a share, up 10 percent from the 50 cent mark in the year-ago quarter, and a penny better than expected.
Sales for the fourth quarter were $31.4 billion, a 2% increase over year-ago levels and just slightly below the $31.5 billion analysts had been looking for.
"We had another strong quarter and a solid year," CEO Randall Stephenson said in a press release Thursday.Showing the beginnings of what is expected to be a slowdown in wireless subscriber growth as rival Verizon starts selling the Apple (AAPL) iPhone next month, AT&T says it added 400,000 post-paid mobile phone subscribers in the fourth quarter. That compares with 745,000 post-paid customers added in the third quarter. Offsetting that slightly, AT&T says it did add 442,000 iPad and Google (GOOG) Android tablet customers to its prepaid roster in the quarter. Looking ahead at the full year, AT&T says it expects earnings to growth in the "mid-single digit or better range." Analysts were looking for 9% or better earnings growth this year. AT&T shares fell 98 cents, or 3.4%, to $27.75 in premarket trading Thursday. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To send a tip, email: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV