Rio's Moment Nears Without Top New Hotels
RIO DE JANEIRO (TheStreet) -- The endless parties and fireworks of New Year's Eve in Rio de Janeiro were to mark the beginning of a 'Golden Decade' for Brazil's second-largest city, which will host the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics.
Contrary to the media coverage of endless urban violence, Rio is benefiting from a booming economy and stronger police control of its more than 100 favelas, impoverished neighborhoods notorious for their drug lords and rampant gang violence. Along the streets of Leblon and Ipanema, two of the city's chicest neighborhoods, an improved economy is seen in the city workers sweeping sidewalks and maintaining one of the cleanest cities you'll see in South America -- or anywhere.
But while most of Rio seems to be sizzling, its hospitality industry seems to be on more of a simmer, with few hotel projects on the horizon even with so much going in its favor.
|Ipanema Beach in Rio, Brazil's second-largest city.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV