NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The municipal bond sell-off continued last week, with investors pulling $5.75 billion out of such funds, according to data released on Wednesday.
The Investment Company Institute, which tracks flows in long-term mutual funds, said that investors put a net $4 billion into the market during the week ended Jan. 19. $4.6 billion of that went toward stocks, $3.6 billion went toward taxable bonds and $1.6 billion went into hybrid bond-and-equity funds.
Municipal bonds was the only category from which investors withdrew money. Investors have removed $30.5 billion from municipal-bond mutual funds since the start of November, when concerns about local budgets started gaining traction.
The sell-off has been attributed to comments by well-known financial analyst Meredith Whitney after she predicted in September that dozens of municipalities would default on hundreds of billions of outstanding bonds this year.Whitney isn't alone. As municipal budget issues have piled up - and speculation over states' creditworthiness has increased - JPMorgan Chase (JPM) CEO
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV