Claim: Fox Ad Flap Hurts 'Jesus Hates Obama'
LOS ANGELES ( TheStreet) -- Conservative comedian Richard Belfry thought he hit the jackpot after News Corp.'s (NWS) Fox Sports agreed in principle to play a commercial for his merchandise brand -- Jesus Hates Obama -- during Super Bowl XLV on Feb. 6.
Representatives from both sides came to the table in November and agreed to a $2.3 million deal for the commercial to air in the last space available -- a 30-second spot right before the kickoff between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers. All Belfry had to do was submit the commercial for approval.
Unfortunately, what happened next was not in Belfry's plan: In early December, when the commercial was submitted, Fox Sports rejected it, saying it wasn't up to the channel's standards.
A Fox Sports spokesman declined via e-mail to talk about the case or "our broadcast standards policies" in general.Belfry thinks of himself as a small-business owner trying to get traction for his brand and product -- T-shirts, hats and beer mugs with anti-Obama messages, launched in 2009 and sold from a van at events. Last summer, he was approached by private investors and began expanding. "We literally only launched
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV