Electric Vehicle Market Pioneer ZAP Completed Its Acquisition Of 51 Percent Of The Capital Stock Of Zhejiang Jonway Automobile Co. Ltd. Of Sanmen, Zhejiang, China To Manufacture And Sell Electric SUVs To Fleets In China. (Photo: Business Wire)
Electric vehicle market pioneer ZAP (OTCBB:ZAAP) announced today that it has completed its acquisition of 51 percent of the capital stock of Zhejiang Jonway Automobile Co. Ltd. of Sanmen, Zhejiang, China. Cathaya Capital LP has funded the aggregate amount of US$36 million.
The final payment of US$19 million related to the acquisition was made on January 21, 2011 with the funding from Cathaya Capital. Total cash payment for the acquisition of 51 percent of Jonway Automobile was US$30,030,000.
With ZAP’s electric vehicle (EV) technology expertise and international experience, the combined company intends to build the necessary production platform to address the Chinese EV market. The newly combined company, to be renamed ZAP Jonway, will leverage Jonway Auto’s A380 SUV, as well as its established distribution channels to the Chinese market with over 90 direct dealers. ZAP Jonway will manufacture and sell SUVs powered by ZAP’s electric drive train and expects to benefit from the 60,000 RMB (approximately US$9,000) government incentives granted to electric car buyers.
Jonway Automobile anticipates vehicle sales for its gasoline A380 SUV to increase by 40 percent to over 10,000 vehicles in 2011 compared to 2010. In 2009, its first year of sales, Jonway Automobile experienced sales of 4,000 SUVs, which rose to over 7,000 in 2010, each with a sales price of around US$11,000. ZAP Jonway is currently adding to its manufacturing production lines to deliver the A380 EV SUV by the anticipated date of June 2011 and ZAP’s ALIAS EV roadster by September 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV