Kraft Foods alleged in a court filing Friday that market share performance did not factor into its contract with Starbucks, a partnership whereby Kraft dispenses Starbucks' products to grocery stores and other retail outlets in the United States, Canada, Britain and other countries.
Starbucks has repeatedly claimed that Kraft neglected and mismanaged the partnership, including store displays and marketing, and failed to take measures to "address the erosion of Starbucks market share," all of which supposedly cost Starbucks millions in lost sales and a smaller market share in its grocery-based coffee sales business. Starbucks said its grocery sales fell to 26.7% in early 2010, from 32.7% in 2004.
The coffee shop chain hopes to end the 12-year arrangement by March 1 and move its distribution operation to a new partner, privately held Acosta.In Kraft's latest court filing, the processed food maker claimed that market share performance was not a factor in its distribution agreement with Starbucks. "We dispute its relevance. It's hypothetical. That has no bearing on the question of whether they have the right to terminate and walk away for nothing on their own time table," Marc Firestone, Kraft's general counsel, told Reuters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV