NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Clinical Data (CLDA) was the biggest gainer among small-caps Monday afternoon, its shares soaring 55% to $23.30, after U.S. regulators approved its major depressive disorder treatment Viibryd. The biotech company said the drug would be available in U.S. pharmacies by the second quarter. Over 9 million shares changed hands.
Shares of Genoptix (GXDX) jumped 26% to $24.83 on heavy volumes after Swiss pharma giant Novartis (NVS) said it was acquiring the diagnostics laboratory for $470 million or $25 per share in an all cash deal.
Several solar stocks were shining on the bourses after Goldman Sachs added First Solar (FSLR) to its conviction list. Shares of LDK Solar (LDK) were surging 10.5% to $14.53. Solarfun Power (SOLF), Trina Solar (TSL) and ReneSola (SOL) were also up sharply.Shares of Depomed (DEPO) were recovering Monday after plunging last week, rising 7.2% to $6.23. The stock took a hit last week after it said that Abbot Laboratories (ABT) was reluctant to market its pain reliever drug. Level 3 Communications (LVLT), Dot Hill Systems (HILL), Pluristem Therapeutics (PSTI) and ATP Oil and Gas (ATPG) were among the other major gainers on Monday. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV