How Consumers Win at the Super Bowl
If you want to simulate the Super Bowl matchup with friends or see how your favorite team would have stacked up against its conference counterpart had they made the playoffs, Electronic Arts' (ERTS) Madden NFL '11 is the way to go. Paying a full $60 for it when there's one meaningful game left on the slate, however, is just foolish.
J.J. Hendricks, owner of the JJGames online used-game store based in Denver, Colo., and creator of a used-game valuator called VideoGamePriceCharts, notes that sports games in general depreciate in value faster than games in any other genre. According to his charts, Madden NFL '11 has already plummeted from $59.99 when it was released last August to an average of little more than $32 for a used copy for Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 or Nintendo's Wii. The low end of that average holds an even deeper discount, with prices for the Wii bottoming out at $20 on eBay's Half.com and the cheapest versions for other systems selling for less than $27 on Amazon.
"If people want to get the best deal they will wait to buy after the playoffs and Super Bowl are done," says Hendricks, whose charts have last year's Madden installment selling for less than $10 and 2007's version available for $5. "If someone wants to buy Madden '11, they could save about $10 or so if they waited another month."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV