How Consumers Win at the Super Bowl
NFL pizza sponsor Papa John's (PZZA) loves to throw around its estimate that Americans will eat 30 million slices of pizza on Super Bowl Sunday alone. Considering five times that many people watched the game last year, those 30 million slices scarcely seem like enough to go around. Still, Papa John's expects to use promotional items like the $12 extra-large four-topping pizza it offered last year to send at least 50% more pizzas out the door on Super Bowl Sunday than it does on any of the other Sundays on the calendar.
That's about 750,000 pizzas, but still short of its competitors at Domino's (DPZ), which expects to sell 1.1 million to 1.2 million pizzas on game day at a 40% to 45% improvement over its typical Sunday output, according to spokesman Tim McIntyre.
Yum Brands' (YUM) Pizza Hut, which is stepping up its game against Papa John's by joining the Super Bowl ad mix, also expects a 50% increase, roughly 1.2 million orders and 1.7 million pizzas cycling through its ovens from kickoff to the presentation of the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Considering their promotions will likely be similar to last year's $10-a-pizza game special, that's $17 million in revenue without wings, pasta or any of the other add-ons.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV