Best And Worst States For Small Business
The Lone Star State has no taxes related to personal income, individual capital gains, corporate income, corporate capital gains or estates. Texas also boasts a low level of state and local government spending and low workers' compensation costs, the SBE Council says.
The state does have high property and consumption-based taxes, as well as a large number of health insurance mandates and a very high crime rate, the council notes.
According to the website of Republican Gov. Rick Perry, Texas has brought in more jobs than any other state in the past 10 years.Texas boasts a business-friendly atmosphere, particularly for start-up technology firms, including the Texas Enterprise Fund, which functions as a "deal closing" fund to enable the state to compete "directly with incentives offered" in other states, and the Emerging Technology Fund, which helps early stage tech firms as they get their footing, the website says. Beginning in October, Perry's office has hosted 14 "Small Business Forums" across the state offering business owners access to information on work force development, training grants, expanding markets and other business growth opportunities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV