On Friday, the maker of traditional Chinese medicines released a letter written by its chairman and CEO, Yanqing Liu.
The letter, addressed to China Sky's shareholders, defended the company against a series of fraud allegations made by short-sellers based in the U.S. Uppermost among the allegations are that the company has reported inflated sales figures in its financial filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
China Sky One's fight with one short-seller, a retired businessman in Texas named John Bird, was documented on TheStreet in a story published last month. Bird's contretemps were also featured some weeks later in an article in Bloomberg Business Week. Since late December, China Sky's stock has fallen sharply, losing 25% of its value.But, on Friday at least, Liu's letter appeared to give the stock a boost. China Sky's shares were gaining 5.3% to $5.55 at 12:10 p.m. on volume of about 400,000 shares. Daily turnover averages about 180,000 shares. Though it failed to address any of the specific allegations made against the company over the last year, Liu's letter was strongly worded. The chairman asserted that "in the Company's history, our executive directors have never sold a single share of China Sky One Medical."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV