NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 4 is very much the phone of the moment as it gets set to launch at Verizon (VZ) next month, but there are at least five arguably better phones coming that aim to dethrone the king.
Each phone seems to have adopted the 4-inch or larger touchscreen size. Apple's iPhone, by comparison is 3.5 inches. And while three of the phones have a 1-gigahertz processor, the LG Infuse goes a couple ticks faster with a 1.2-gigahertz chip. Motorola is the first of the bunch to use a dual-core processor from Nvidia (NVDA).
At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas earlier this month, Motorola was a standout, unveiling four new devices including the iPad tablet challenger, the Xoom. Motorola's most eye-catching superphones were the Atrix and the Bionic, previously known as Olympus and Edna.Sanjay Jha, CEO of the newly independent wireless titan, appears to have taken the Verizon iPhone challenge quite seriously. Motorola is making what has been expected to be a major displacement at Verizon into a compelling 4G alternative to the iPhone. Some analysts are impressed with Motorola's hustle. "Motorola's return to the cutting-edge of handset hardware positions it well in 2011," says MKM Partners analyst Tero Kuittinen. "Apple's decision to leave dual-core and LTE technologies out of the Verizon iPhone shows a degree of complacency that should benefit Motorola." Here's a look at the top five Android superphones set to battle with the iPhone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV