The Borders Story: The Final Chapter?
After a reorganization that involved a round of layoffs, Borders announced in October 2000 plans to open 55 new stores over the next six to eight years, essentially doubling its portfolio from 350 superstore locations to about 700.
The company announced that it expected the expansion to cost about $130 million annually.
Chapter 4: The Trouble With Waldenbooks
But as Borders embarked on an aggressive growth project for its superstores, its smaller-format Waldenbooks remained a sore spot.
Dwindling mall traffic in the early part of the decade significantly crippled the chain. In 1992 Waldenbooks held a 9.5% market share, but by 2002 that foothold had dropped to just 4.8%.Borders began the new decade with 869 Waldenbooks stores, but within two years, that number had dropped to 778. Then in 2004 Borders began converting select Waldenbooks into Borders Express locations. Over the next several years the company continued to shutter underperforming Waldenbooks, reducing its footprint to 300 in 2007, then further cutting its store base in 2009. There are currently only about 150 Waldenbooks/Borders Express stores in existence.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV