For the average investor, it's tough to profit from this laissez-faire rule-making result -- most of the trading profits from higher commodity prices will be enjoyed by the funds and commodity proprietary desks, accessible only to the most well-heeled investor. For the "regular" guy, I again repeat my recommendations that have proven so profitable so far: Exxon Mobil (XOM) and ConocoPhillips (COP) to take advantage of rising crude oil and Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) and Southern Copper (SCCO) to profit from rising base metals, especially copper.
A great opportunity to avoid the similar problems in commodities we saw in 2008 with credit default swaps and mortgage securities is being lost. Get ready for $4 gas and your local Starbucks brew heading north of 5 bucks -- all courtesy of the financial lobbyists, hedge fund traders, industry spokesmen and the CFTC.
--Written by Dan Dicker in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV