DALLAS ( TheStreet) -- By the time football fans hit their remote's power button, watch a play or criticize a commercial on Super Bowl Sunday, they've already invested millions in the game.
Last year, according to Nielsen ratings, an estimated 153.4 million Americans watched part or all of the New Orleans Saints' victory over the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV, with the National Retail Federation estimating they spent $8.9 billion on the game.
With 13.8% of those watchers hosting Super Bowl parties and another 25.6% attending them, the cost of snacks, drinks, apparel and even new televisions -- which the NRF says 3.6 million Americans bought last year, despite spending almost 10% less on everything else -- adds up quicker than rushing yards against a banged-up defensive line. TheStreet took a look at pregame Super Bowl spending and found four areas Americans cherish more than an extra set of downs for the team they picked in the office pool. Regardless of the game's outcome, these four sectors all tend to come out ahead:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV