Much has been made of who will replace him once the octogenerian finally departs. In October, the company announced 39 year-old hedge fund manager Todd Combs would eventually replace Buffett as its chief investment officer. But certainly no one could replicate Buffett's investing success going forward, so Berkshire is doomed, right?
Not necessarily. Because Buffett likes to own entire companies, he has grown Berkshire into a diversified holding company of more than 50 businesses. Berkshire is so large that each additional acquisition has less and less impact on Berkshire's bottom line.
It is a Zacks No. Rank (Hold) stock.
Charles Schwab (SCHW)Charles Schwab founded his company in San Francisco in 1971. In 1975, he began offering discount brokerage, and the rest is history. Chuck already stepped down as CEO in October 2008 but remains chairman of the Board. Although new CEO Walt Bettinger has some big shoes to fill, is it that difficult to picture the company surviving without its founder? Not for me. The company has thrived, and will continue to thrive, because of its low-cost business model. It is a Zacks No. 3 Rank (Hold) stock. Todd Bunton is the Growth & Income Stock Strategist for Zacks.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV