NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The tech spotlight sat firmly on Apple (AAPL) CEO Steve Jobs and his medical problems Tuesday, but fourth-quarter earnings from IBM (IBM) will also be closely watched after the bell.
"IBM" has become something of a byword for solid, steady growth in recent years; analysts expect the tech bellwether's latest numbers to continue the trend.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are looking for IBM to post overall revenue of $28.26 billion and earnings of $4.08 a share, up from $27.2 billion and $3.59 a share in the same period last year.
"We believe the company's solid secular prospects and leading software and services assets should enable it to trade at a premium to other technology conglomerates," said Bill Shope, an analyst at Goldman Sachs, who has a neutral rating on the stock. "But with less room for margin-driven earnings expansion in the near term and the uncertain demand outlook for IBM's software and services segment beyond this quarter, the shares may be range bound."IBM shares have risen almost 14% over the last 12 months, eclipsing both Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and Microsoft (MSFT), which fell 7.84% and 11.87%, respectively. Apple's stock, in contrast, has grown almost 63% over the last year. Big Blue's software division should see good fourth-quarter performance. "Software growth should improve from last quarter," said Shope, forecasting software sales growth of 2.5%, compared to the third quarter's 0.7%. "We expect the company to note a strong pipeline as well as continued strength in business analytics, storage management and business integration." Software is crucial to IBM, which describes itself as the world's second-largest software vendor by revenue. Sales of software accounted for $5.4 billion of the firm's total third-quarter revenue. IBM, which is using the Jeopardy! game show to showcase its new analytics ability via its Watson supercomputer, also continues to be a massive player in IT services. During the third quarter, revenue from IBM's Global Technology Services business grew 1% to $9.5 billion, while the company's Global Business Services grew 5% to $4.6 billion. For the fourth quarter, Goldman predicts overall services revenue of $14.91 billion, a sequential hike of almost 6% and up almost 2% year-over-year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV