The carrier said the storms caused revenue to fall by by about $30 million.
"JetBlue's operating performance was adversely impacted by snowstorms in the Northeast during the last week of December, resulting in the cancellation of approximately 1,400 flights over a five-day period," said CEO Dave Barger, in a prepared statement.
"Due to high load factors over the peak holiday travel period, we were unable to re-accommodate many customers on other flights and recapture revenue," Barger said.JetBlue became the third carrier to report the cost of December weather events, following Delta (DAL) and United (UAL). Delta lost $45 million and United lost $10 million. Including JetBlue, the combined reported loss is now about $80 million. US Airways (LCC), which has a major presence in both the Northeast and Southeast -- both areas were impacted by storms -- has not yet released a figure. Its loss may have been mitigated because the carrier quickly resumed normal operations following the post-Christmas weather problems. JetBlue said December traffic grew 3.7% on a 1.1% capacity increase, while load factor increased 2.1 points to 82.1%. On-time percentage dipped to 58.6% because of weather. Passenger revenue per available seat mile increased by 3%. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. . >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV