RNC Names Priebus Chairman
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It looks like Michael Steele is out and Reince Priebus is in for the Grand Old Party.
According to multiple media reports, the Republican National Committee now has a new chairman with Priebus eventually getting the nod after Steele bowed out of the running. It took seven rounds of voting for Priebus, the party's leader in Wisconsin, to get the nod, the Associated Press said. Steele dropped out after four rounds, the AP said.
Priebus is 38 years old, and his term at the top is two years, so he'll be at the helm for the Republicans when they look to oust President Barack Obama from the White House in 2012.
Steele had been widely criticized for mucking up the party's finances. The Wall Street Journal estimates the organization has built up more than $20 million in debt, and said Priebus had pledged to raise $400 million to go to battle against Obama and the Democrats in 2012.-- Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV