Borders (BGP) made another round of layoffs on Jan. 17, this time cutting 45 jobs at its headquarters.
The layoffs at its Ann Arbor, Mich., facility occurred in human resources, finance, merchandising and distribution centers.
This is the second batch of pink slips the book seller doled out this year; it announced on Jan. 12 that it would shutter a distribution center and cut 310 positions.A center in Nashville, Tenn. will close in July, a move that is part of its "long-term plan to enhance the efficiency of its distribution network and reduce operating expenses." "After an extensive review of its supply chain, the company found it has excess capacity in its distribution network and requires only two distribution centers to process and ship inventory to stores," the company said in a statement. Distribution will be transferred to other centers in Pennsylvania and California.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV