American Express (AXP)announced on Jan. 19 that it will shift 3,500 positions around the world and lay off 550 workers.
The credit card company expects a pre-tax charge in its fourth quarter of $113 million, or 6 cents a share, as a result of the restructuring.
As part of the overhaul, American Express will shutter its Greensboro, N.C., facility, shifting operations to locations across the U.S.The company is also looking at transferring work conducted in Madrid to facilities in Brighton, U.K., and Buenos Aires. Support for its Japan card business may also move from Sydney to Japan. "The company's decision reflects an overall decline in service volumes as more and more routine transactions have migrated to online and mobile channels," said American Express in a statement. "Staffing levels have declined to reflect those lower volumes, largely by not filling positions that opened up when employees leave. The reduced staffing levels have created significant vacancy levels in some facilities and, as a result, real-estate-related costs are inconsistent with anticipated needs." The moves are expected to be completed by the end of the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV