Precious metal mining stocks were largely falling during the trading session, with some exceptions. Mining stocks offer another form of exposure to precious metals.
Shares of Brigus Gold (BRD) were up 0.5% to $1.84. This junior gold stock is a favorite of Casimir's Atwell. He noted that 2010 was an "excellent year" for junior gold shares, with the The Casimir Junior Gold index rising 47.6% during 2010 compared with 29.4% for the Major Gold share index and 29.7% for gold. He expects that 2011 will be another strong year for junior gold shares.
Reasons Atwell is bullish on junior gold companies include the ability of junior gold miners to tap into the entire gold property population, whereas intermediate and major gold companies can only pursue 5% to 10% of the available properties, given that they need the bigger projects."A new discovery would have more impact on a junior because their denominator's smaller," he explained. "The majors are going to have to replace depleting resources whereas the juniors will be ramping up, and that probably wouldn't be an issue." He also noted the potential for more merger and acquisition activities among the juniors than the majors. ETFS Physical Platinum Shares (PPLT) were up 0.4% to $179.86, while North American Palladium (PAL) was rising 2.9% to $7.40. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV