NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Spot gold prices could break out of a tight trading range next week pending a visit by the Chinese president, the release of retail slaes numbers and ahead of the Chinese new year holiday, analysts say.
In the meantime, one analyst continues to believe that junior gold stocks will offer the best exposure to any uptick in gold prices.
Kitco senior analyst Jon Nadler said gold prices could hop if signs of discord between the U.S. and China arise amid Chinese President Hu Jintao's visit to the White House next week. However, he thinks that it's more likely that the nations' leaders will stick to cooperative dialogue.
Nadler said to turn bullish again, gold needs to overcome $1,390 an ounce and not break support under $1,360.News relating to Europe's sovereign debt and inflation has already been baked into the current gold prices, Nadler said. "I would look for gold to stay in this trading range until we get a new piece of news," said Casimir Capital managing director Wayne Atwell. James DiGeorgia, the founder and editor of Gold & Energy Advisor said gold managed to push above its 50-day moving average of about $1,384 Tuesday, and as long as the yellow metal stays at these levels, it could again rise above $1,400. I think the big upward move in both platinum and palladium are very bullish for the precious metals complex," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV