NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "Cut your losses as fast as you can, but let the winners run," Jim Cramer told the viewers of his "Mad Money" TV show Thursday, as he reminded them that there is plenty of time to make money in 2011.
Cramer said while fear should always temper greed, investors are in a very forgiving market, where they can afford to wait and not make snap judgements. Patience, he said, will be rewarded.Case in point, Marathon Oil (MRO), a stock which Cramer had owned for his charitable trust, Action Alerts PLUS, but sold earlier in the year. Cramer said after Marathon reported a disappointing quarter, he scaled out of Marathon and into rival Hess (HES). But today Marathon surged 9% on the news that the company is splitting itself into two, thereby unlocking tremendous value. Cramer reminded investors that they should never second guess a trade that made a profit but, he noted, in this case he was too quick to count Marathon out and move on. The same can be said for ITT (ITT), which also split itself into two earlier this week for big gains. Cramer said he's now scouring the markets for other companies that may also be able to unlock value sooner as opposed to later. He said that Vale (VALE) and Bank of America (BAC), another Action Alerts PLUS name, are two likely candidates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV