Yu Wei drop-side cribs were recalled because of entrapment and suffocation hazards, according to an Oct. 5 U.S. CPSC report.
Around 8,000 cribs were involved in the recall. The drop-side rails on the crib can malfunction, detach or unexpectedly fall down, causing part of the drop side to fall out of position. When this happens, a space is created into which an infant or toddler can roll and become wedged or entrapped, which can lead to strangulation or suffocation. A child can also fall out of the crib. Drop-side incidents can also occur due to incorrect assembly and due to age-related wear and tear.
CPSC, Yu Wei and J.C. Penney (JCP) JCPenny, where the cribs were sold exclusively, are aware of nine incidents involving drop side rails that malfunctioned or detached, including one report of a child who sustained minor abrasions to the arm.The recall involved Yu Wei full-size cribs sold under the Scroll and Lauren model names. The cribs were sold in antique white, pecan and dark cherry, with model numbers 343-8225 or 343-9117 listed on the inside of the crib's end panels. Manufactured in Taiwan, the cribs were sold exclusively at jcpenney.com and in the J.C. Penney catalog from January 2006 through December 2010 for between $300 and $450. Consumers were told to immediately stop using the recalled cribs and contact Yu Wei at 877-806-8190 to get a free immobilizer kit that will immobilize the drop side. In the meantime, parents were encouraged to find an alternate, safe sleep environment for the child, such as a bassinet, play yard or toddler bed depending on the child's age.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV