2011 Consumer Recall Alerts
Tyson Foods (TSN) recalled tens of thousands of pounds of ground beef Wednesday because of an E. coli scare, according to Sept. 28 reports.
Tyson Fresh Meats of Emporia, Kan. recalled 131,300 pounds of beef, according to a U.S. Department of Agriculture report. The government agency became aware of the possible E. coli contamination after Ohio health authorities reported a family's E. coli illness in the state. The Butler County family had ground beef in their home that tested positive for the bacterium.
The recalled ground beef was produced on Aug. 23, and included 5-pound chubs of Kroger (KR)-brand "Ground Beef 73% Lean - 27% Fat," 3-pound chubs of Butcher's Brand "Ground Beef 73% Lean - 27% Fat," and 3-pound chubs of generic label "Ground Beef 73% Lean - 27% Fat." The recalled beef had a "BEST BEFORE OR FREEZE BY" date of "SEP 12 2011" and the establishment number "245D" ink jetted along the package seam.The Kroger-branded beef was distributed in Tennessee and Indiana; Butcher's beef in North Carolina and South Carolina; and generic beef in Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. E. Coli 0157:H7 is a potentially fatal bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration, and in the most severe cases, kidney failure. Young people, seniors and people with weakened immune systems are most susceptible to foodborne illness. Consumers with questions regarding the recall were instructed to contact Tyson at 866-328-3156.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV