(Recall slideshow updated with recall news General Motors' 2011-2012 Chevrolet Corvette Coupes; Kroger's Private Selection Extreme Moose Tracks ice cream; Avaira Toric contact lenses; Sony's Bravia flat-panel TVs; B.O.B. single and double-seated strollers; and Nestle's Lean Cuisine Dinnertime Selects Chicken Fettuccini.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- From snowmobiles with loss-of-control risks to child entanglement in window shades and glass flakes in anemia drugs, alarming product recalls have raised the fear -- and ire -- of consumers.
Here are some of the bigger recalls that have unfolded in 2011...
General Motors (GM) has recalled certain model years 2011 and 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Coupes because of faulty door locks, according to an Oct. 14 U.S. Department of Transportation report.
Around 6,006 vehicles were involved in the recall, including 5,755 in the U.S. and 217 in Canada. The recalled cars were manufactured between Jan. 24 and Sept. 1 of this year.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the rear hatch hinges many not meet the load requirements specified in the safety standard. The rear hatch could separate in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury.General Motors said it would notify owners, and that dealers were instructed to replace both rear hatch hinges free of charge. The safety recall was expected to begin on or before Oct. 7. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438. Read on for more consumer recalls...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV