Rick Pearson is a Beijing-based private investor focusing on U.S.-listed China small-cap stocks. He is a contributing writer to TheStreet whose views on these stocks are independent of TheStreet's news coverage.
Molycorp (MCP) went public in July 2010 in an IPO priced at $14 (below its expected range of $15-$17) and then subsequently traded down to as low as $12.10. The latest announcements of export curtailments by China have driven to stock as high as $62.80 -- an increase of 420% in only six months.
Shares of Rare Earth Element Resources (REE) traded as low as $2.79 in August 2010 and subsequently rose as high as $17.92 in December -- a return of 530% in six months. It should be noted that both of these companies are in the exploration stage with respect to rare earths and neither one of them is yet profitable, making these investments highly speculative. Both of the shares are beginning to sag from their 52-week highs.One stock, which is actually profitable, that has also soared on the back of the Chinese announcements is Inner Mongolia-based Shenzhou Mining (SHZ). During the entire month of July, this previously unknown stock traded a total of 146,000 shares at an average closing price of 77 cents. After several gaps up throughout the fourth quarter of 2010, the stock was soon trading in the $4 to $5 range and I viewed it as overpriced based on hype. Then on Dec. 29, in what is normally quiet trading between Christmas and New Year's, the stock shot up as much as 75% in one day on more than 33 million shares volume. To put that in perspective, the stock traded 226 times more in one day than it did in all of July and at a price which was more than 1,000% higher. The stock currently trades in the $8 to $9 range.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV