DETROIT ( TheStreet) -- The Detroit Auto Show underscored a key fact for the U.S. economy: one of the country's most important industries is in a fully-fired recovery mode.
While the course of the economy and the markets are of course impossible to predict, it is equally impossible not to be swayed by the auto industry's optimism.
Meanwhile, GM (GM) CFO Chris Liddell told reporters that the company wants to reduce its debt to zero and match pension asset income to pension asset liabilities, eliminating a drag on the company's value.
Meanwhile, Jim Lentz, president of Toyota (TM) Motor Sales USA, said Toyota has a slightly less rosy view than Ford and GM, due to continued high unemployment and a weak housing market. Speaking to the Automotive News World Congress, Lentz said Toyota expects U.S. light vehicle sales to rise by about 9% to 12.5 million units, at the low end of industry estimates. "For the first half of the year, we do see the U.S. economy improving, but at a slower rate than we would like or many analysts expect," Lentz said. "We expect a better year with the prospect of continuous improvement into 2012 and beyond." -- Written by Ted Reed in Detroit . >To contact the writer of this article, click here:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV