The buyer was a consortium led by Ruen Chen Investment, a company 80%-owned by Taiwanese conglomerate Reuntex Group, and Pou Chen, a Taiwanese footwear maker.
"Ruen Chen offers strong operational and funding capabilities and possesses a clear ability to satisfy the strict criteria that governed AIG's bid review process," said Robert Benmosche, AIG president and CEO, in a statement. "Consistent with these criteria, Ruen Chen has demonstrated that it is able and willing to invest in Nan Shan's future, and that it will protect and serve the best interests of Nan Shan's policyholders, employees and agents."
The sale is part of AIG's plan to pay back the U.S. government for its $182 billion bailout.The sales comes five months after regulators killed AIG's first attempt to sell the business. The sale of Nan Shan still has to be approved by Taiwan's Financial Supervisory Commission, an independent government body that is far from certain to give approval, the Associated Press reports. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|TheStreet Tools * Ex-Dividend Date Calendar|
|* Top-Rated Stocks|
|* Highest-Yielding Stocks|
|* 2011 Earnings Calendar|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV