Peer Lending Grows as Business Owner Option
"The process is simpler because we do not underwrite the business itself, we just underwrite the business owner," Laplanche says. "The business owner can get a loan based on his own financial situation and his own credit history. It's fully automated and it's no different from getting a credit card or getting a personal loan from a bank."
Origination fees are between 2% and 5% of the loan amount.
Annual percentage rates, which includes the loan interest rate and fees, average about 11% for three-year loans and 14% on five-year loans. That compares with an average 15% to 24% at banks, Laplanche notes.
Websites such as Lending Club also become a sort of clearinghouse to borrowers by having someone in the middle saying "this investor is legit."But borrowers need to understand that risks are involved, since peer lending investors are not subject to the same rigorous guidelines as banks, warns Marilyn Landis, founder of small-business consultancy Better Business Concepts and a board trustee to the National Small Business Administration. Borrowers need to be extra careful when agreeing to loan terms -- perhaps even bringing in an accountant or counsel to review the terms. Landis also suggests that applicants find out whether they can repay the loan early and, if so, if a cost is involved. On the other hand, "because they are not regulated,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV