Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation Announces Fiscal 2010 Fourth Quarter And Full Year Sales Results And Updates Earnings Guidance
- Reports Fourth Quarter Same Store Sales Decrease of 0.7%
- Reports Full Year Same Store Sales Increase of 0.8%
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jan. 11, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation (Nasdaq:BGFV), a leading sporting goods retailer, today reported sales results for the fiscal 2010 fourth quarter and full year ended January 2, 2011.
For the 13-week fiscal 2010 fourth quarter, net sales were $226.7 million, compared to net sales of $237.6 million for the 14-week fourth quarter of fiscal 2009. Same store sales decreased 0.7% for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010. After achieving same store sales growth in the low-to-mid single-digit range through the first two months of the quarter, which included the "Black Friday" weekend, sales trends turned negative during the shopping period before Christmas. During the quarter, the Company's apparel sales increased in the low single-digit range, footwear sales were relatively flat and hardgoods sales decreased in the low single-digit range, all on a same store basis compared to the same period last year. The Company's merchandise margins decreased 20 basis points for the fourth quarter from the fourth quarter of 2009. As a reminder, the Company's merchandise margins improved 88 basis points during the fourth quarter of 2009 over the prior year period.
For the 52-week fiscal 2010 full year, net sales increased to $896.8 million from $895.5 million for the 53-week fiscal 2009 full year. Same store sales increased 0.8% for the fiscal 2010 full year.As a result of the fiscal year calendar, the fiscal 2010 fourth quarter included 13 weeks and the fiscal 2010 full year included 52 weeks, compared to 14 weeks and 53 weeks for the respective reporting periods in fiscal 2009. For purposes of reporting same store sales comparisons to the prior year, the Company uses comparable 13-week and 52-week periods.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV