Fuel cells, which were first conceived in the 19th century, can create power by putting a gas -- such as hydrogen or methane -- in contact with a reactant, in the presence of a catalyst. Fuel cells are low in pollution, very reliable and generally more efficient than competing technologies, but the manufacturing plants are expensive to build.
According to the latest data available from Price WaterhouseCoopers, shipments of fuel cell systems in 2009 were approximately 24,000 units, an increase of 41 percent over 2008.
FuelCell Energy is no newcomer to the technology, having been founded in 1969 in Danbury, Conn. It shipped its first commercial power unit to the Kirin brewery in Japan in 2003.Now its power generators can be found throughout the world in a diverse range of industries -- from an onion farm to a bakery that uses organic waste as fuel, to a California prison. In fact, many of its commercial sales have gone to California, the leader in America's push for green energy. That said, South Korea remains FuelCell's largest market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV