By Ian Wyatt
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - The concept of creating energy from nothing seems similar to the dream of Middle Age alchemists who tried to conjure up gold from thin air. Except for one thing, in the 21st Century, generating energy from non-fossil fuel sources is the real deal.
Now there is wind power, solar power and other low-polluting ways to generate electricity -- and all are important as demand for electric power puts pressure on the modern grid. The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that global electricity demand will reach 28.9 trillion kilowatt-hours by 2025, up from 18 trillion kWh in 2006.
In a little known index I found a company that's involved in one of the former trendy energy technologies that has fallen out of favor in recent years. Yet the company I found was one of the hottest stocks at the end of 2010 on my secret index -- the Russell 2000.Interest appears to be growing in fuel cells, and FuelCell Energy (FCEL) is heating up with investors. The stock's return in the final three months of the year was 104 percent, making FuelCell Energy the second-best performer on the Russell 2000 as of December 31.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV