4. Raytheon engages in providing defense-related products and services. The company addresses the U.S. and international markets, offering integrated defense systems (IDS), missile systems, space airborne systems (SAS), and intelligence and information systems (IIS).
Earnings per share for the third quarter zoomed 9% to $1.36, driven by operational efficiency. Operating margins improved 60 basis points from the year-earlier quarter to 12.9%.
Reviewing the results, Raytheon's CEO William H. Swanson said, "Strong program performance and cost-reduction activities drove operating margins and earnings for the quarter." However, third-quarter net sales came in flat at $6.3 billion, compared to $6.2 billion during the same quarter last year. Revenue and operating income from SAS and technical services segments scaled up 10% and 20%, respectively. In comparison, IIS and IDS were lackluster. The stock is trading at seven to eight times its 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV