5. L-3 Communications is a security contractor with operations spanning across command, control, communications, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (CCCISR), aircraft modernization and maintenance (AM&M), government services and electronic systems.
Consolidated net sales for the third quarter of 2010 were flat at $3.8 billion, relative to the same quarter last year. The AM&M segment reported a 4.8% drop in sales, offsetting the 7.5% increase in CCCISR sales.
Reviewing the quarter, Michael T Strianese, L-3 president and CEO, said, "Despite softer-than-expected sales, our Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance businesses continued to see robust demand and we were able to expand margins and generate strong cash flow." Operating margins improved by 50 basis points to 11.4%.
Net cash was $395 million for the quarter. Acquisitions during the quarter included a couple of companies in unmanned systems and satellite communications space worth $93 million. The stock is trading at 11 to 12 times its estimated 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV