That led Piper Jaffray analyst Peter P. Appert to slash his price target on Strayer shares by $17 to $119, maintaining a neutral rating on the stock.
Despite Apollo's drop in students starts, it could be better positioned relative to its education peers because the decline followed changes in the company's internal regulation. Strayer, meanwhile, saw a drop in student enrollment because of external factors beyond its control.
"While the company and industry are going through a transition, Apollo may be ahead of the curve based on its initiatives -- however painful they may be to near-term results," noted BMO Capital Markets analyst Jeff Silber.Strayer's enrollment update dragged much of the education sector sharply lower in Monday's trading but many industry players rebounded somewhat in Tuesday's session.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV