(Apollo Group earnings report updated with analyst commentary and quotes from the company's conference call .)
PHOENIX ( TheStreet) -- Apollo Group (APOL) shares soared Tuesday thanks to an earnings beat posted late Monday.
Apollo shares jumped 13.4% to close at $40.74 on Tuesday. The stock had fallen sharply in Monday's trading session after sector peer
Apollo Group, the parent company of University of Phoenix and other for-profit postsecondary education programs, posted fiscal-first quarter profits of $235.4 million, or $1.61 per share, down 2% from year-earlier earnings of $240.1 million, or 1.54 per share.
Despite the profit decline, Apollo handily beat expectations for earnings of $1.35 per share, or $197.7 million. Revenue came in at $1.33 billion, up 5.4% from year-earlier revenue of $1.26 billion, driven largely by tuition price increases at Apollo's flagship University of Phoenix. Top-line results also beat expectations. Analysts' consensus call had been for revenue of $1.26 billion. "Outlook for most of these companies in the space still remains murky," said Stern Agee & Leach analyst Arvind Bhatia. Height Analytics analyst Jarrel Price said "we are encouraged that the cost of positioning the company for future success is not worse than expected given industry trends." "We do not think yesterday's first-quarter announcement indicated a meaningful acceleration in Apollo's recovery," he added. RBC Capital Markets analyst Robert Wetenhall said that "investors are starting to give Apollo credit for improving the quality of its business model, but remain cautious due to poor enrollment visibility."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV