5. Sterlite Industries (SLT) is a global player in the metals and mining sector, with a diversified portfolio consisting of non-ferrous metals.
Hampered by regulatory restrictions at its Tuticorin and Orissa projects, the stock had been underperforming the broader market indices. However, any positive news from its proposed acquisition of the government's minority stakes in Bharat Aluminum and Hindustan Zinc would be a positive trigger.
The company generates about half its revenues from its copper business. The recent disturbances in Chile and the introduction of copper-related exchange traded funds buoyed copper prices, which is a positive for Sterlite
The company has a strong balance sheet with cash and cash equivalents of $6 billion. The company can use the cash for organic and inorganic opportunities.On the operational front, production ramp up at its new smelters will augment volumes. Additionally, the strong performance of its power and zinc segments could improve its earnings profile. The stock is trading at 8 times its 2011 to 2012 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV