More than 50% of the votes went to Silver Wheaton, according to a poll by
Coeur d'Alene Mines (CDE) came in second place, with 25.7% of the votes. The other contenders were Pan American Silver (PAAS) and Goldcorp (GG), which tied with 5.4% of the votes; and Silver Standard (SSRI) and Minefinders (MFN), which received 6.1% and 6.4% of the votes, respectively.
Silver Wheaton's core approach lies in buying already-excavated ores from miners, then extracting silver from it. The company's portfolio includes silver streams from Goldcorp's Peñasquito mine in Mexico and Barrick's (ABX) Pascua-Lama project, spanning the border of Chile and Argentina.According to Morningstar data, Silver Wheaton obtains a share of mines' silver output at fixed price of about $3.90 a silver ounce. The purchase price compares favorably to recent silver prices when subject to inflationary adjustments, according to Morningstar. Silver Wheaton's unique approach to the silver mining business is what fuels the bullish view of the stock. "The company's unique structure acts as a paper proxy for unhedged silver prices," Morningstar analyst Joung Park said in an analyst report. "This investment serves asset allocators seeking alternative investments."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV