SMSC To Acquire Conexant Systems, Inc.
SMSC (NASDAQ: SMSC), a leading semiconductor company providing Smart Mixed-Signal Connectivity™ solutions, and Conexant Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CNXT), a leading supplier of innovative semiconductor solutions for imaging, audio, embedded modem, and video surveillance applications, today announced the signing of a definitive agreement under which SMSC will purchase all of the outstanding shares of Conexant in a stock and cash transaction valued at approximately $284 million including the assumption of Conexant’s net debt. The transaction has been approved by the boards of directors of both companies.
Combined Company Highlights:
- Complementary connectivity product portfolios to target more expansive set of computing, consumer, industrial and automotive applications,
- Serves key customers with more complete product solutions,
- Creates a stronger analog/mixed-signal R&D team with over 900 engineers globally,
- Combined company has the scale and resources to enhance SMSC’s financial model with a combined trailing twelve month revenue of approximately $632 million,
- Anticipated annualized pre-tax cost synergies of $8 to $10 million by the end of SMSC’s fourth quarter of fiscal 2012,
- Acquisition expected to be accretive to non-GAAP gross margins, non-GAAP operating margins and non-GAAP earnings per share immediately upon closing.
The combination of Conexant’s imaging, audio, embedded modem and video products with SMSC’s broad connectivity solutions targeting the computing, consumer, industrial and automotive markets provides for a highly complementary merger of talent and technology. Headquartered in Newport Beach, California, Conexant has approximately 600 employees worldwide, including over 230 in Asia.
“We believe that combining the growth potential of Conexant and SMSC will allow us to leverage complementary technology and engineering resources to provide our customers with expanded solutions in connectivity and content,” said Christine King, President & Chief Executive Officer of SMSC. “We plan to focus our resources on the areas of highest return and believe that our respective sales and supply chain relationships will help create a platform to grow our businesses. We expect the acquisition will be accretive to non-GAAP EPS immediately upon close. In addition, we expect to capture significant operating efficiencies that will position us to increase earnings growth. SMSC’s larger scale should position us to increase our R&D productivity and drive profitability and shareholder value.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV