Help For People 65 And Older With Incomes At $1360/mo Single, $1820/mo Couple
LANSING, Mich., Jan. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Increasingly, older adults, through no fault of their own, are unable to meet life's most basic needs. Unemployment, decreases in investment income and disappearing pensions have left many retirees quietly struggling to make ends meet. AARP estimates that unemployment for people 55 and older has increased over 300% in the last decade. Wayne State University reports 37% of people over 65 in Michigan don't have enough income to pay for basics like food, housing, transportation and their medical needs. The situation is worse in the City of Detroit, where 60% of retirees are at risk. Perhaps an older adult you know -- a neighbor, friend or even a parent -- is choosing between a meal or their medication?
"Older adults are used to providing for themselves and their families. Even facing financial hardship, they may not ask for help without encouragement," explains Kate White, Executive Director of Elder Law of Michigan. "We created the Benefits Enrollment and Options Center (BEOC) to serve as a resource to help older adults get assistance to pay for things like food, medicine, insurance and utilities. We want older adults with modest incomes and assets to call us for help." BEOC offers significant help for single elders with gross incomes of $1360/month or less and assets of $8100 or less and elder couples with gross incomes of $1,820/month or less and assets of $12,910 or less. "The BEOC is a Medicare funded service that older adults are able to call from the safety and comfort of their own homes to speak with a caring case manager," said White. There is no charge for assistance.
For help making ends meet for older adults in your life call the Benefits Enrollment and Options Center today at 1-866-400-9164.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV