Borders Group (BGP) was once again seeing heavy action in extended trading, rising 17% to $1.01 on volume of 1.4 million. The struggling bookseller has been working to refinance a hefty debt load and the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday it was engaged in talks with restructuring advisors, including Jefferies & Co.
The article said the company is also in discussions with one of its lenders, GE Capital, about entering a new debt agreement to replace its existing senior credit facility. The WSJ also said GE Capital had asked Borders to explore which of its vendors would be willing to delay receiving some payments from the company.
Borders, which counts William Ackman's hedge fund firm Pershing Square Capital Management as its biggest investor with a stake of 41.8% stake, had a debt net of cash balance of $331.1 million as of Sept. 30. Based on a regular session close at 86 cents on Thursday, the stock had lost 26% since reports first surfaced of the company delaying vendor payments.
Liz ClaiborneShares of Liz Claiborne (LIZ) lurched lower after the company slashed its profit outlook following a weak December for its Lucky Brand, Juicy Couture and Mexx Europe brands. The stock was last quoted at $5.69, down 17.5%, on volume of around 950,000. The shares gained more than 15% in 2010, and more than doubled after scraping a 52-week low of $3.90 on July 1. Liz Claiborne said it now projects the improvement in its adjusted operating income at $40 million to $50 million for the second half of fiscal 2010, which ended in December. Its previous view called for an improvement of $80 million. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV