Chesapeake Energy, though, says the new strategic plan has nothing to do with Carl Icahn.
Chesapeake manager of investor relations John Kilgallon wrote in an email to TheStreet, "We have had a strategy to significantly reduce debt in place since May 2010 and our '25/25 Plan' is simply an extension of that strategy. We are always engaged in ongoing discussions with shareholders regarding our strategy and financial plans and we believe this updated plan and reaction in our stock price today is evidence of their continued support."
It's not exactly the type of sanitized words that investors would think represents a "fundamental shift" in Chesapeake's operating philosophy as a result of the Icahn double-down investment.
RBC analyst Hanold said, "Typically guys like Icahn look to shake up a company and influence management and that's today's octane, and to that extent we could see a difference in strategy, but the bottom line is, we need to actually see it."Again, it's going to be words versus deeds with Chesapeake Energy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV